When Is It Time to Replace your Heating or Air Conditioning System?
If you’re heating system quits, it’s might be a sign… Other than that, how do you know when it’s costing you more than you need to spend?
Here are some “Don’t’s” when you are wondering how to evaluate your heating system or A/C.
- DON’T RUSH This is a big investment and you want to make the smartest choice – for your home and your wallet. You want to make an informed decision, so take the time to research and give us a call with any questions.
- DON’T IGNORE SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) or AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) – every air conditioning system has a SEER rating now. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the unit, and thus the less you will spend running it. The minimum SEER rating is 13. A 16 rating or above is considered High Efficiency. Go for that. Every heating system has an AFUE rating. The closer to 100% (which no system can achieve) the more efficient your system.
- DON’T ASSUME THE LOWEST PRICE IS THE SMART CHOICE. Just like in everything else, be wary of something that is priced too low to be good. Bear in mind the savings over the life of the unit can add up to far more than your initial savings when you buy a better, more efficient piece of equipment.
- DON’T MISS OUT ON REBATES! New Jersey has rebates to help you upgrade your equipment now that can save you up to $700. How long will these funds be available?
No one knows. So if you need a new heating system, now is an excellent time to act. Read about them here.
- DON’T OVERLOOK SERVICE CONTRACTS. Extend the life and maintain the high efficiency of your brand new, expensive system with regular maintenance. You wouldn’t ignore your car’s oil changes without consequences and you should be as careful with expensive asset, too. Service contracts make sure maintenance happens!
And here are some “Do’s” that can save you in the long run.
- DO LOOK AT A NEW A/C OR HEAT PUMP SYSTEM IF YOURS IS MORE THAN 10 YEARS OLD. A new Energy Star rated, high efficiency unit can save you up to 20% on heating and cooling costs.
- DO CONSIDER REPLACING A FURNACE OR BOILER THAT IS MORE THAN 15 YEARS OLD. New high efficient heating systems can save you up to 15% on your heating costs.
- DO REVIEW YOUR RECENT ENERGY BILLS. If they are going up, your systems may be running inefficiently – either because it is old or it needs maintenance.
- DO INSTALL A PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT. Save money when you are out of the house all day and asleep at night. This is the simplest money saving installation that will make a real difference in heating and a/c costs.
- DO INVESTIGATE A NEW SYSTEM IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF DUST. Something isn’t running properly or your ductwork is leaking.
And of course, Do take the time to talk to a reputable contractor, like us!